The best humidifier essential oils to transform your home
Humidifiers can be helpful in adding moisture to your air at home or in combating the symptoms or colds, flus or allergies when they come knocking. Adding essential oils to your humidifier is a great way to bring essential oils into your daily life and transform your home. But which are the best essential oils to use with a humidifier?
In this article, we'll talk you through the top essential oils to use with your humidifier as well as explaining the benefits of each. We'll also explore some of the other simple ways that you can transform your home with essential oils.
- What is a humidifier?
- Can you put essential oils in a humidifier?
- Benefits of using essential oils with a humidifier
- Best humidifier essential oils
- Lavender oil
- Lemon oil
- Eucalyptus oil
- Bergamot oil
- Peppermint oil
- How to use essential oils with a humidifier
- Tips for using essential oils in your humidifier
- Other ways to transform your home with essential oils
- In summary
What is a humidifier?
A humidifier is a household appliance that helps to maintain indoor humidity levels. They are often used in winter when the air is dry or in regions with low humidity. Low indoor humidity levels can cause health problems such as nosebleeds, static electricity, and increased risk of respiratory infections.
Your furnace may have a humidifier installed on it, and this can help maintain indoor humidity levels. But when discussing humidifiers, we are generally referring to a freestanding appliance.
There are two main types of humidifiers:
- Evaporative humidifiers work by drawing air through a wet wick, evaporating the water into the air.
- Ultrasonic humidifiers use high-frequency vibrations to create a fine mist of water that is released into the air.
Can you put essential oils in a humidifier?
Adding essential oils to your humidifier is a great way to enjoy the benefits of essential oils and transform your home. Essential oils can help to boost your mood, improve your sleep, and purify the air. However, essential oils should only be used with ultrasonic humidifiers.
Caution should be taken when using essential oils with an evaporative humidifier. This is because the solution passes through a wicking filter. This filter could become damaged by the essential oils, so it's important to check the manufacturer's instructions before using essential oils with an evaporative humidifier. You should only use essential oils with your evaporative humidifier if the manufacturer's instructions state that this is acceptable.
When using essential oils with a humidifier, it's important to use high-quality, pure essential oils. This is because impure essential oils may contain harmful chemicals. It's also important to only use a few drops of essential oil, as too much could be overwhelming.
Benefits of using essential oils with a humidifier
People across the globe combine the benefits of both essential oils and humidifiers to effectively transform their home. But what exactly are the benefits to using essential oils with a humidifier?
When added to a humidifier, essential oils can:
- Help to cleanse and purify the air
- Boost your mood and energy levels
- Help you to relax and sleep better
- Relieve stress, anxiety, and tension headaches
- Ease cold and flu symptoms
- Soothe sore throats
- Reduce congestion
It's easy to see why so many people choose to combine the benefits of using a humidifier in their home with the powerful therapeutic properties of essential oils.
Best humidifier essential oils
Now that we have explored the benefits of using essential oils with a humidifier, let's take a look at the best essential oils for humidifiers.
1. Lavender oil
One of the most popular essential oils, lavender oil is well known for its ability to promote relaxation and sleep. This makes lavender an ideal essential oil to add to a humidifier in the bedroom.
Lavender essential oil also has antibacterial and antiseptic properties, making it an effective way to cleanse the air and help to protect against respiratory infections.
2. Lemon oil
With a refreshing and uplifting scent, lemon oil is a popular choice for adding to a humidifier. In fact, this essential oil has been proven to improve concentration and mental performance, so you might find that adding lemon essential oil to your humidifier helps you to focus on work and be more productive.
Lemon essential oil also has antimicrobial properties, so using this essential oil in your humidifier could help to cleanse the air and protect against illnesses such as colds and flu.
3. Eucalyptus oil
Eucalyptus oil is a common option when it comes to humidifier essential oils. This essential oil is found in many cold and flu remedies, thanks to its powerful effect on easing congestion.
However, the benefits of eucalyptus essential oil don't end there. Inhaling eucalyptus oil has also been proven to be an effective method of pain relief, making adding eucalyptus oil to a humidifier a promising natural remedy for those suffering from chronic pain.
4. Bergamot oil
With a citrusy, sweet scent, bergamot oil is another popular choice for adding to a humidifier. This essential oil has been shown to boost mood and energy levels, making it perfect for using in the morning or when you need an afternoon pick-me-up.
Inhaling bergamot oil has been proven to reduce anxiety and increase feelings of positivity. Anxiety can be a debilitating condition that gets in the way of everyday life. Adding bergamot essential oil to your humidifier can help to ease those feelings of anxiety, enabling you to feel more confident and in control of your life.
5. Peppermint oil
Peppermint oil is a refreshing essential oil with a wide range of benefits. Inhaling peppermint oil has been shown to improve mental focus and concentration, making it ideal for using while studying or working.
Peppermint oil is also known for its ability to soothe headaches. If you often suffer from tension headaches, using peppermint oil in your humidifier could help to provide relief.
How to use essential oils with a humidifier
Using essential oils with a humidifier is simple. First, add water to your humidifier according to the manufacturer's instructions. Then, add a few drops of your chosen essential oil or oils to the water. You don’t want to overdo the essential oils though, as this can cause irritation. A little goes a long way!
Once you have added the essential oil to the water, turn on your humidifier and enjoy the benefits of the therapeutic vapors.
Some humidifiers include a specific essential oil diffuser tray, which is made specifically for diffusing essential oils around your home. In this case, you can add your diluted essential oils to this tray, following the manufacturer's instructions.
Tips for using essential oils in your humidifier
The following tips will help you to get the most out of your essential oils while also prolonging the life of your humidifier:
- Ensure that your chosen essential oils are high quality, 100% pure and organic, and free from any additives.
- You'll only need to use a few drops of essential oils per liter of water. Adding too much essential oil can cause irritation or headaches due to their high potency.
- If you notice any adverse effects when using essential oils, such as headaches, nausea, or dizziness, stop using them immediately and consult a healthcare professional.
- Caution is needed when using essential oils around children or pets, as not all essential oils are safe for animals and young children.
Other ways to transform your home with essential oils
In addition to using essential oils with a humidifier, there are many other ways that you can transform your home with these potent plant extracts. Here are some ideas:
- Add a few drops of lavender oil to your pillowcase to help you relax and sleep.
- Diffuse lemon oil in your kitchen to freshen the air and boost your mood. And when you’re done cooking, clean your kitchen with it to give it a fresh scent and kill any lingering germs.
- Add a few drops of peppermint oil to your diffuser to invigorate your senses and improve mental focus.
- Mix eucalyptus oil with a carrier oil and massage into your chest to relieve congestion as well as cold and flu symptoms.
- Dilute tea tree oil with water and use it as a natural cleaning solution in your bathrooms and throughout your home.
- Dilute chamomile oil with a carrier oil and add it to your bath water for a calming aromatherapy bath that will relieve the stress of everyday life.
Essential oils can be used in a number of ways to improve your health and well-being. Using essential oils with a humidifier is an effective way to enjoy the benefits of these potent plant extracts, as well as improve the quality of the air in your home. Just be sure to clean it regularly so as to not begin diffusing bacteria and mold into the air!
Keep in mind that not all essential oils are safe for everyone, so it's important to do your research before using them. If you notice any adverse effects, stop using the essential oils immediately and consult a healthcare professional.
If you're looking for pure and organic essential oils to use with your humidifier, you'll love the volant range. From lavender and chamomile to sweet orange and lemon, volant has something to suit every need and preference. Take a look at the volant range today!